The UNCAC Coalition’s Environmental Crime and Corruption working group seeks to facilitate discussions, the exchange of information and joint advocacy among civil society experts working on these issues.
In case you are interested in joining the working group, please fill out this form
The Working Group hosts a dedicated email discussion list as well as several coordination calls per year.
Next Working Group Meeting:
Thursday, 24 November, 14:00-15:30 CET
Context in which this group operates
- Environmental crime cannot be understood and therefore addressed without taking into consideration the corruption supporting and facilitating it.
- Vienna is the place where multilateral negotiations on the fight against crime and corruption take place, in particular under the UN Convention against Corruption (UNCAC), the UN Convention against Transnational Organised Crime (UNTOC), and the Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice (CCPCJ), which present important opportunities to raise awareness and provide information on environmental crimes and the corruption supporting them to policy-makers.
The objectives of the Working Group are to:
- provide updates on policy developments on the corruption supporting environmental crimes to ensure that all participants are aware of the latest developments on the issue;
- create a space where NGOs can present their findings, reports or campaigns (on a rotating basis) for dissemination purposes;
- transmit knowledge and concerns from organisations working in specific regions to policy-makers based in Vienna to impact policy discussions;
- shed light on practical topics that are not necessarily addressed in other fora;
- coordinate advocacy efforts, such as NGO submissions at fora present in or organized from Vienna on environmental criminality;
- ensure that anti-corruption activists and the wildlife crimes experts work jointly on transversal themes rather than in their respective silos.
Relevant resources, activities and outputs:
- UNCAC Coalition written submission to the 12th IRG on Tackling Corruption related to Environmental Crimes, 31 August 2021
- Report: Convergence of wildlife crime with other forms of organised crime, by the Wildlife Justice Commission, May 2021
- Blog post: The Link Between Corruption and Illegal Wildlife Trafficking, by Anne Aurore Bertrand, 24 March 2021
- Blog post: UNCAC Obligations Invoked in Support of Efforts Against Wildlife Trafficking in Vietnam, by Olivia Swaak-Goldman, 6 December 2016
- Targeting Natural Resource Corruption project: Publications