Last updated: 10 September 2021
The resumed 12th session of the Implementation Review Group (IRG) is responsible for having an overview of the UNCAC review process and consider technical assistance requirements for the effective implementation of the Convention. Official documents for IRG, which was scheduled for 6-10 September 2021, can be found here.
UNCAC Coalition Side Events on the margins of the NGO Briefing
The events will be held in a hybrid manner and will focus on ways to operationalize the UNGASS commitments.
Organized by the UNCAC Coalition.
Time & place: Tuesday, 7 September, 09:30-10:30 CET, Board Room D, VIC.
Event objective: The event will discuss possible ways forward in promoting public procurement and beneficial ownership transparency, access to information, whistleblower protection, and the role of journalists in the fight against corruption, following the commitments made in the UNGASS political declaration. Civil society experts will raise ideas for action to be taken by the CoSP, present good practices of UNGASS implementation on the national level, and discuss support civil society could provide to countries that wish to advance these key preventive measures.
List of speakers:
- Kristen Robinson, Open Contracting Partnership
- Louise Russell-Prywata, Open Ownership
- David Banisar, ARTICLE 19
- Mathias Huter, UNCAC Coalition
Moderator: Helen Darbishire, Access Info Europe and Chair of the UNCAC Coalition
Grand Corruption – Next Steps
Organized by Transparency International and the UNCAC Coalition. Sponsored by Norway.
Time & place: Wednesday, 8 September, 13:45-14:45 CET, Conference Room 7, C Building, VIC.
Event objective: Ahead of the 9th Session of the Conference of States Parties to the UNCAC in December 2021, this event will discuss concrete next steps to prevent and combat grand corruption. Panelists will elaborate on:
- how we can define and measure grand corruption – and why we need to do so;
- steps the UNCAC CoSP could take to operationalize the UNGASS commitments to advance a forward-looking anti-corruption agenda and framework, including to identify and address gaps and challenges in such a way as to improve the Convention and the implementation thereof, with a view to tackling grand corruption.
List of Speakers:
- Opening words by Ambassador Kjersti Ertresvaag Andersen, Permanent Representative of Norway to the UN (Vienna)
- Gillian Dell, Transparency International
- Emile van der Does de Willebois, Coordinator of the Stolen Asset Recovery Initiative (StAR)
- Carlos Barsallo, Executive Director of Transparency International Panama
- Karim Daher, lawyer and tax advisor, served as a member of the FACTI Panel
- Justice Richard Goldstone, Board member of Integrity Initiatives International (III)
Moderator: Mathias Huter, UNCAC Coalition
Asset Recovery – Breaking New Ground
Organized by Transparency International and the UNCAC Coalition. Co-sponsored by France and Nigeria.
Time & place: Thursday, 9 September, 13:45-14:45 CET, Conference Room 7, C building.
Event objective: The event will reflect on the advances made in the field of asset recovery in the context of the UNGASS and will discuss concrete initiatives in moving forward, on the international and national level. Speakers will present positive developments on the ground and will address the ongoing question: What is the key to improving asset recovery-stronger UNCAC implementation or a new multilateral instrument?
List of speakers:
- Caroline Goussé, Legal adviser, Directorate of Economic Diplomacy, Ministry of European and Foreign Affairs, France
- Emmanuel Nweke, Senior Counsellor for information and guidance, Permanent Mission of Nigeria to the UN (Vienna)
- Sara Brimbeuf, Senior advocacy officer, Transparency International France
- David Ugolor, Executive Director, Africa Network for Development and Justice (ANEEJ), Nigeria, and Board Member of the UNCAC Coalition
- Jackson Oldfield, Founder, Civil Forum for Asset Recovery (CiFAR)
Moderator: Gillian Dell, Transparency International and Board Member of the UNCAC Coalition
UNCAC Coalition submissions to the 12th IRG
The UNCAC Coalition has made several written submissions to the IRG. Our submissions highlight key challenges and best practice approaches, and include recommendations for States Parties to advance the fight against corruption in each of the following four areas:
- Advancing UNCAC implementation: Improving Effectiveness, Transparency and Inclusiveness of the Implementation Review Mechanism;
- Post-UNGASS: Advancing the Implementation of Commitments;
- Recognizing Victims of Corruption;
- Tackling Corruption related to Environmental Crimes.
The latter two submissions were respectively drafted by our working group on victims of corruption and our working group on environmental crime, building on the extensive expertise of the groups’ members. In addition to the above submissions, we also submitted the following documents:
- A guide to Transparency and Participation in the UNCAC Review Mechanism (English, French, Spanish)
- The UNCAC Coalition Transparency Pledge (English, French, Spanish)
Agenda & Programme for the NGO BriefingFullscreen Mode