Status of the hiring process
Last updated: 20 March
- Consultant: applications for this position are now closed. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted in the coming weeks.
- Regional Coordinator for Sub-Saharan Africa: Shortlisted candidates have been invited to an interview.
Consultant to Review, Update and Strengthen Organizational Rules of Procedure and Governance Policies
The UNCAC Coalition is a global network of more than 350 civil society organizations (CSOs) in over 100 countries, committed to promoting the implementation and monitoring of the United Nations Convention against Corruption (UNCAC).
Established in 2006, it initially mobilized civil society action for the UNCAC at international, regional and national levels as an informal network for many years before formalizing its structure. The Coalition has been registered in Austria as an association since 2015 and, since 2019, has a rented office in Vienna (the “Vienna Hub”), now staffed with a seven-person team, complemented by five part-time regional coordinators working remotely. The work of the Vienna Hub and the Managing Director is overseen by the Coalition’s Board – called the Coalition Coordination Committee (CCC)- which represents different membership groups and regions and is elected by the Coalition’s membership.
The UNCAC Coalition seeks the support of an outside expert to review its governance processes and practices and help address any areas where the organization falls short of best practice standards. This relates to organizational processes for making strategic decisions, for evaluating the organization’s performance, and for ensuring organizational ethics, accountability and transparency. The work includes reviewing and proposing improvements to existing documents and drafting new documents as required.
- Stocktake and review of relevant existing governance documents (including the Charter and any guidance documents for the conduct of board affairs, for board ethics; for the conduct of the Annual Membership Assembly, for the evaluation of the organization’s performance, for ensuring organizational ethics and for decisions on strategic communications etc.)
- Conduct interviews with the Board and other stakeholders
- Produce for the Board and Managing Director a written assessment of identified weaknesses and suggested actions for strengthening the Coalition’s governance framework
- Building on existing rules, revise or draft rules of procedure or other documents to support the organization’s governance, including effective decision-making of the board and the Annual Membership Assembly, especially strategic decision-making; and also documents relating to organizational ethics and strategic communications;
- Draft additional policies or amendments to existing policies, depending on the needs identified in the review.
Upon request, relevant existing documents can be provided to potential bidders to enable an assessment of the work involved in steps 1 and 2.
Based: Work can be remote.
Deadline: Friday, 17 March 2023, 17:00 (Vienna time)
Starting date: as soon as possible
Expected completion date: 1 June 2023
Qualifications and selection criteria
The consultant should present the following skills and qualifications:
- University degree in law, management, social sciences, or another relevant area
- Extensive demonstrated experience in developing, reviewing and overseeing governance documents and processes of non-profit organizations, ideally of organizations similar to the UNCAC Coalition
- Demonstrated ability to produce clearly written outputs
- Excellent command of English
- Demonstrated familiarity with the functioning of civil society groups and Coalitions
- A letter describing your experience and qualifications relevant for this assignment as well as a brief technical proposal, outlining how you will approach the assignment, including an indicative timeline (PDF, max 2 pages)
- Curriculum Vitae with a description of relevant experience and profile (PDF, no more than 3 pages, no pictures, please)
- One sample of relevant previous work (confidentiality guaranteed)
- Financial offer for undertaking the work, with an estimation of the number of days spent on the outlined deliverables 1 and 2, and the daily rate (as well as any applicable other costs, including VAT, if applicable)
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
The Coalition may enter into additional negotiations with one or more of the participants in the call.
By responding to this call for proposals and submitting an application, you provide consent to the UNCAC Coalition to process and store your application materials for up to eight years, in line with legal requirements in Austria.
- UNCAC Coalition Recruitment Policy (.pdf)