Focal Point: Ayoub Al Kasemi, Head of IYSO
Mission and vision
To provide leadership in peace building and to promote a culture of justice and democracy in Yemen.
Priority areas your organization is working on
Improve Your Society Organization (IYSO) focuses on promoting good governance in the public institutions. Its activities include conducting studies and preparing public policy papers, as well as seeking to influence decision-makers with the aim of improving accountability. They seek to combat corruption and provide recommendations to improve transparency and raise awareness on the United Nations Convention against Corruption (UNCAC). One effective way to strengthen this is by aiming to empower youth movements in the country.
Important achievements for your organization over the past 2 years
The most important achievements of IYSO have been the launch of the Social Accountability Forum and establishing a community advocacy committee to combat corruption among local official authorities. In addition, IYSO has sought to influence decision-makers in carrying out administrative change and reform in the water and hygiene institutions as well as creating an environment to promote a culture of social accountability in Yemen.
Specific description of your organization’s work in anti-corruption
- Engaging initiatives on advocacy to combat corruption in the gas, water and hygiene sectors
- Organizing activities in order to build local knowledge about the UN Convention against Corruption.
- Targeting stakeholders such as government authorities, citizens, journalists, civil society organizations, and youth movements for information campaigns.
- Intervening in local and regional governance processes including community hearings, reports and documents, media monitoring and dissemination, trainings and capacity building sessions.
Any anti-corruption activities your organisation was involved in over the past two years
- Raising accountability standards in public services, influencing decision-makers in carrying out administrative change and reform in the water and hygiene institutions.
- Engaging in the Enough Corruption Campaign.
Your organisation’s work in relation to the UNCAC and the UNCAC review mechanism
Given the ongoing conflict in Yemen, the organisation’s work is focused on mobilizing their communities, raising awareness and building knowledge about the United Nations Convention against Corruption. They aim to improve the country´s measures to prevent corruption and create a culture of transparency and accountability. The organisation seeks to establish a strong civil society network to combat corruption as an initial step towards working better in the future.