Country: Cabo Verde
Focal Point: Jacinto Santos, President
Tel: +238 9917242, +238 2647379
Mission and vision
VISION: A society where every citizen can exercise their rights of citizenship, in an atmosphere of progress, peace, justice and opportunities for all.
MISSION: Contribute to strengthening and improving the level of intervention of the member NGOs through concerted actions and promoting their participation in socio-economic development.
General description of the CSO work in the anti-corruption area
- PlatONG implemented a “Code of Ethics and Conduct” and is sensitizing his members to adopt it as good practices for good governance.
- PlatONG is an active partner of the government of Cabo Verde in the implementation process of Fiscal Citizenship Education.
Specific description of the CSO work in relation to the UNCAC
- PlatONG collaborates with the Financial Information Unit (UIF) of the government, in order to prevent money laundering and other illicit practices. We also collaborate with the ECOWAS Inter-Governmental Action Group against Money Laundering in West Africa (GIABA). Working with both organisations, as well with some UN agencies and partners, we have communicated messages relating to the consequences of corruption in developing countries.
- During the First UNCAC Review Cycle (UNCAC chapters III and IV) we provided our input to the national authorities, as well to the visitors and evaluators during the country visit, bringing in an NGO perspective on corruption in Cabo Verde.
- PlatONG furnishes opinions to the Ministry of Justice, regarding the improvement of its action plan to fight corruption as well mechanisms to prevent it.
Specific description of the CSO work in relation to the review mechanism of the UNCAC
As mentioned above, PlatONG collaborated with the UN and with the Caboverdean Government in the UNCAC review process. However, this participation was limited due to a lack of CSO expertise and experience about the content and processes of UNCAC. The capacities of four CSO members have been strengthened since then, in order to be able to play a relevant role in future reviews. Several of our activities developed in the past are aligned with the purposes of the UNCAC, but in the future, it will be possible to refer to its relevant articles in PlatONG’s documents, plans and actions.