Membership Type: Ordinary member
Telephone: +243 81 249 70 95 or +243 84 44 41 899
Full Address: 14, Avenue Loango, Quartier 1, Commune de N’djili-Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo
What is your organisation’s mission?
Our mission is to combat corruption and promote transparency and accountability with the participation of the population of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). We also aim to mobilise citizens to fight corruption and corruption-related impunity.
How are you involved in the UNCAC Coalition?
LICOCO is involved in UNCAC Coalition advocacy activities both at national and international levels. LICOCO supported Coalition advocacy when it attended the UNCAC Conferences of States Parties in Marrakesh, Morocco and in St Petersburg, Russia. At the national level, LICOCO carries out advocacy activities towards the Ministry of Justice calling for:
- Preparation of the self-assessment report on UNCAC implementation
- Effective participation of civil society organisations in the development of the self-assessment report and in the UNCAC review process generally
- Adoption of legislation in line with the UNCAC
What do you find most exciting about UNCAC work?
The UNCAC contains provisions that citizens are unaware of, but which could provide the basis for finding that corruption has been committed; for example with respect to gifts made to public officials. UNCAC Article 15 tells us that making gifts to public officials is a corruption offence. However, in DRC giving a gift to a public official is not an offence and there is no law limiting the value of a present that a citizen may give to a public official nor are citizens concerned about large gifts being made.
What, if any, UNCAC related activities have you been involved in?
- The preparations for the UNCAC self-assessment process organised by the Ministry of Justice on 12 December 2016 by the focal point.
- A workshop for stakeholders and collection of information on 10 January 2017 at the Ministry of Justice, organised by the focal point.
- Since 2010, training sessions organised by UNODC and the UNCAC Coalition in Kinshasa and Vienna.
What UNCAC related activities/work are you most looking forward to?
The main activity that LICOCO would like to participate in is the elaboration of the self-assessment report on UNCAC implementation in the DRC and a meeting with the groups of experts preparing the UNCAC review report.