Focal Point: Sotiraq Hroni, Executive Director
Tel: +355 682049345
Mission and vision
Mission: To advance societal capacities, generate and provide knowledge, skills and expertise for inclusive policy making and evidence-based alternatives to bolster democracy and sustainable development.
Vision: Inform, Develop and Motivate for a democratic and prosperous society.
General description of the CSO work in the anti-corruption area
IDM focuses on research, policy design, analysis of policy processes, as well as advocacy for evidence-based alternatives to improve governance and reduce corruption practices. Furthermore, IDM provides education and capacity building services specifically tailored for individual target groups such as local government officials, the media, and institutional leadership. IDM is very active in raising awareness on corruption by helping design and implement large-scale information and awareness campaigns for the public, government officials and the media. IDM constantly monitors public perception of corruption,and designs bottom-up development strategies to improve good governance, reduce centralization and limit the risk of corruption.
Specific description of the CSO work in relation to the UNCAC
As an independent think tank in Albania, IDM has been working to improve public accountability in the fight against corruption. IDM is striving to achieve such goals through monitoring, research studies, and policy recommendations that aspire to improve the public institutions’ performance in fighting corruption. To that effect, we are conducting (for the second time) a thorough assessment of police corruption that is causing the development of a national police integrity index. IDM is also working to improve anticorruption performance at the local level in Albania through empowering civil society organizations and community groups. Finally, IDM carries out on annual national survey on public trust in institutions supported by the UNDP and the EU.
Specific description of the CSO work in relation to the review mechanism of the UNCAC
- IDM strives to promote integrity, accountability and proper management of public property and affairs. IDM has contributed to introducing such standards in Albania.
- IDM has promoted and supported international cooperation in the fight against corruption through various projects which transcend our borders. IDM in cooperation with regional Think Tanks has established coalitions in mapping the integrity and accountability levels of the public sector in the Balkans (police integrity and corruption, oversight of the security sector, transparency of government expenditures).
- IDM has helped increase the participation of the society by:
- Enhancing transparency and promoting the contribution of the public in decision making.
- Providing the public with greater access to information by conducting public information activities that contribute to non-tolerance of corruption as well as engaging with schools and universities to improve public education programs
- Building capacities in the fight against corruption
- Contributing in the development and planning of strategic anti-corruption policies (particularly at local level governance)
- Training competent authorities in understanding mechanisms against corruption
- Providing training in national and international (especially the later) anti-corruption regulations
- Upon request, assisting government agencies in conducting evaluations, studies and provide specific policy recommendations
If you or someone from your organization has participated in a workshop on UNCAC and its review mechanism organized by UNODC/ UNCAC Coalition, please indicate who, when and where
Multi-stakeholder workshop to Strengthen Civil Society Capacity on the United Nations Convention against Corruption (UNCAC) and its review mechanism – Vienna International Center, Vienna, Austria, 20-23 September 2016